Auto accidents and mishaps are not rare in Cedar Rapids. No one can ever predict a car accident, but when unfortunate things happen, it is wise to act rationally and follow the norms. Iowa is a fault state, and if you can prove that the accident was the other party’s fault, you can recover compensation, typically through their insurer. As a driver, if you are injured in Cedar Rapids, here are some mistakes you need to avoid.
- Not calling 911: Following a traffic accident, there is usually chaos and confusion. Don’t let all that distract you in any manner. Instead, consider calling 911 immediately. This will also alert the police.
- Not seeking medical care: Don’t be under the impression that your injuries are not severe. In fact, wounds and pain often cause additional symptoms weeks after. Make sure you check with a doctor and follow the recommended line of treatment.
- Not taking pictures: Everyone has a smartphone these days, and it is absolutely important that you take pictures of the scene. Be as detailed as possible and take videos of your injuries, damaged vehicles, and road conditions.
- Not keeping medical records: When you seek compensation, you are looking to cover your medical bills and treatment costs, and without proper records, your claim could be in jeopardy. Always maintain medical records shared by the doctor.
- Apologizing at the scene: Even when you believe that you could have caused the accident in any manner, don’t let others know that. You should accept fault to just one person – your lawyer for the case.
- Posting on social media: Your car accident is not gossip to share with the public. You shouldn’t post anything on your social handles, or the insurance company will use that against you. Don’t discuss things with people in person, either.
- Getting into a fight: When you know that the other party was responsible for the accident, you are likely to feel agitated, which is okay. However, this is not the time to get into an altercation with anyone. Anything you say will be used against you.
- Not calling an attorney: You must consult an attorney for your car accident claim, as you have limited time to take action. Most lawyers don’t charge anything to review cases, and once the lawyer is on the claim, they will not ask for their fee until you get paid.
Call an attorney today to know more about your rights and Iowa laws.