Being involved in an accident with a large truck can result in serious damage to your vehicle. It can also cause potentially life-changing injuries. These are a few reasons it is important to take the proper precautions when sharing the road with these large vehicles.
If you are involved in an accident with a large truck, it’s a good idea to contact a Connecticut truck accident lawyer immediately. They can help gather evidence related to your situation and help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Here you can learn some tips to help you stay safe on the road when large trucks are nearby.
Avoid the Truck’s Blind Spots
Large commercial trucks have large blind spots. These areas are where the driver can’t see other vehicles near them. The blind spots on large trucks are found in the front, back, and both sides.
When you are traveling beside or behind a commercial truck, be sure to avoid riding in the following locations:
- Too close to the back or front of a truck, especially when traveling at a high rate of speed
- Staying in a known blind spot for a truck longer than absolutely necessary
- Trying to merge when you are in a truck’s blind spot
If you are in a truck’s blind spot, any time you can’t see the driver in the side mirror, you should get out of that area immediately. You can speed up, slow down, or change lanes to get into a position where the driver sees you.
Use Caution When Passing Trucks
If you attempt to pass a large truck, there are a few things to remember:
- Never attempt to pass a truck unless you can see the driver in their side view mirror
- Accelerate gradually
- Use your turn signal before you move into the other lane
- Don’t pull in front of a truck unless you can see it in your vehicle’s rear-view mirror
- Don’t spend too much time in a truck’s blind spot
- Don’t pass a truck when you are going downhill
If a truck is attempting to pass you, be sure to slow down and give the truck enough space to do so. You want to avoid following the truck too closely.
Stay Back When a Truck is Turning
If there’s a large truck making a right-hand turn next to you, make sure you give it enough space. Large trucks require more space to make a safe turn. If you are too close, your vehicle may be squeezed between the curb and the truck.
If you are approaching an intersection where a truck is stopped, be sure you stop before the white line, not in the crosswalk or after it. This leaves plenty of space for the truck and can help prevent a collision.
Get Assistance from a Connecticut Truck Accident Attorney
You must speak with a Connecticut truck accident lawyer as soon as possible if you are hurt in a truck collision. They can examine the case’s facts and work to get you the most compensation feasible.